Family violence has been a key priority area for Superu since 2005. We are working to increase the quality, relevance and quantity of evidence on family violence and how families can become more resilient. We disseminate our evidence to people working across the social sector so that they can make better and more informed decisions which can improve the wellbeing of New Zealand’s communities, families and whānau.
Current levels of family violence in New Zealand are unacceptably high. Evidence from Superu shows that strong, well-functioning and non-violent relationships are the foundation of resilient families and whānau.
Superu and Families Commission research on family violence
We have written and commissioned a number of reports on family violence as part of our role of increasing evidence about how families are faring:
- Measuring the effectiveness of ‘whole-of-system’ response to prevent family violence
- Reducing the impact of alcohol on family violence
- Family violence indicators
- Snapshot: Family violence
- Discipline in context
- Family violence statistics report to August 2009
- Elder abuse and neglect
- Elder abuse fact sheet
- Beyond zero tolerance
New Zealand Family Violence Clearinghouse publications
Until 1 November 2017, Superu managed the contract for the New Zealand Family Violence Clearinghouse, the national centre for research and information on family and whānau violence. The contract is now managed on behalf of the Crown by the Ministry of Justice.
Here are some of the Clearinghouse's latest reports and issues papers:
- Preventing Adolescent Relationship Abuse
- Understanding research on risk and protective factors for intimate partner violence
- Risk assessment: What is it and how can it be applied in family violence?
- Issues paper: Supporting parental and carer-couple relationships
- Policy and practice implications
- Understanding connections and relationships
- Measurement of family violence at a population level
- Violence against women
- Building collaborations to eliminate family violence
- Creating change: Mobilising New Zealand communities to prevent family violence
- Kaupapa Māori Wellbeing Framework
- Effectively involving men in preventing violence against women